Category Archive

summer produce

What To Do With Summer Produce

Summer is right around the corner, and so are the local markets teeming with fresh and colorful summer produce! Eating the rainbow of colors through veggies provides us with more antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients. Yet, as creatures of habit, how many of us go to the grocery store or market and buy the same […]

fats – Incorporating Healthy Fats

Incorporating Healthy Fats

A nutritious eating plan doesn’t mean cutting out all the fat! If you’re unsure how to get started with your wellness journey, begin by making small changes. It is recommended that 20-35% of your total daily calories come from fats such as polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats. Some examples of healthy fats include avocado, walnuts, olive […]

fats – Incorporating Healthy Fats

Recipes and Tips to Increase Nutrient Absorption

Many of us know that we get energy directly from macronutrients (carbohydrates, protein, and fat) in our food, but vitamins and minerals are also essential for the production and storage of energy in the body. Absorption refers to the act or process of absorbing or assimilating something. When we talk about nutrient absorption, we’re referring […]

fats – Incorporating Healthy Fats

How to Increase Your Vegetable Consumption

The current research on vegetables and fruits still stands: a higher intake of fruit and vegetables is associated with lower total and cause-specific mortality. Based on a recent peer-reviewed evidence-based study, the lowest risk of mortality was observed for ~5 servings per day of fruit and vegetables. Most of us know that vegetables are one […]

fats – Incorporating Healthy Fats

Eating Seasonally to Improve Your Nutrition and Health

Being able to eat seasonally is not a new concept, but it is one that has been made more complex by our increasingly globalized food system. For this reason, the UK Department of Environment, Food, and Rural Affairs has come up with a  definition of seasonality based on where the food was grown versus where […]

fats – Incorporating Healthy Fats

Celebrating National Nutrition Month at the Y

According to a 2016 study using data from the U.S. National Health and Nutrition Survey, less than 3% of Americans live a healthy lifestyle. A healthy lifestyle constitutes eating well, exercising regularly, managing body fat, and not smoking. This means that the other 97% of American adults get a failing grade on healthy habits.  There […]

fats – Incorporating Healthy Fats

Nutrition Genius

Of all your organs, your brain uses the most energy. Did you know your brain uses 25% of all of the energy you consume through food and beverages? That is ¼ of our energy use on one organ! Your body requires healthy food with certain nutrients and vitamins to fuel your brain. These nutrients help […]

fats – Incorporating Healthy Fats

My Love/Hate Relationship With Coffee

How many people do you know that are trying to cut back on their coffee consumption? It’s a lifelong battle for some. Let’s talk about why this is a reality for so many people, what makes it difficult, and how we can find practical ways to reduce caffeine consumption.  Coffee, Coffee, Coffee Caffeine is a […]

fats – Incorporating Healthy Fats

Mindful Eating with Hunger and Cravings

Mindfulness is being present. We are aware of what we’re doing and what we’re not doing, without interpretation or judgment. You could say it is the mind observing and labeling thoughts and feelings in the body in an unbiased manner. Research has shown how mindfulness benefits patients with cardiovascular disease, depression, chronic pain, and cancer. […]

fats – Incorporating Healthy Fats

Open Your Heart to American Heart Month

According to the CDC, about 659,000 people in the United States die every year from heart disease, which is 1 in every 4 deaths. In addition, one person dies every 36 seconds from heart disease. Heart disease costs amount to $363 billion each year, accounting for health care costs, medicines, and lost productivity due to […]

Want to stay up-to-date with
the latest exciting news and fun events?