Healthy Weight and Your Child at the Y
Healthy Weight and Your Child is a new program through the YMCA Center for Healthy Living. It creates a safe, fun, and active environment for children and families to explore proven methods of living a healthier lifestyle. Studies have shown that this program is cost-efficient and effective in maintaining a child’s BMI and also help reduce idle habits, increase physical activity, and improve self-esteem.
Who is eligible?
- Children carrying excess weight (95th or greater BMI percentile)
- 7-13 years of age
- Cleared by a health care provider
- Adult able to attend sessions
What is it?
- 20 bi-weekly sessions, 5 weekly sessions
- 2-hour sessions (classroom setting and physical activity)
- Group-based (10 or more children and their adult)
How does it work?
- Support, education, and activities
- Family huddle (goal setting/action planning)
- Physical activity
- 2 co-leaders