Have you ever been told by a health care professional that you:
- Are at risk for diabetes?
- Have prediabetes?
- Have borderline diabetes?
- Have high blood sugar or glucose?
- Had gestational diabetes?
You may be at high risk for Type 2 Diabetes, but there is something you can do about it. Our National Diabetes Prevention program helps adults prevent Type 2 Diabetes through various techniques to improve their health.
IMPROVE YOUR HEALTH, BOOST YOUR ENERGY
To help reduce your risk for diabetes, your goal in the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program is to reduce your body weight by 7% and increase your physical activity at least 150 minutes per week within the first half of the program. Lose weight, boost your energy, reduce your risk for diabetes and improve your health for life!
GROUP SUPPORT KEEPS YOU MOTIVATED
Everyone needs a push, a pat on the back, a helping hand sometimes. A little encouragement goes a long way when you’re making big changes. In the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program you’ll spend a year surrounded by a group of supportive people with common goals who care about your well-being.
As a participant, you’ll enjoy:
- A safe space where you can feel comfortable sharing and learning in private.
- Making new friends. You will support each other as you all trade old habits for healthier new ones.
- Working as a group. You don’t have to figure this out alone.
- The new energy and confidence that comes with losing weight and reducing your risk for diabetes.
DO YOU QUALIFY?
To participate in the program, you must be:
- 18 years or older.
- Overweight (BMI ≥25), and diagnosed with prediabetes via one of three blood tests or a previous diagnosis of gestational diabetes.
- If you don’t have a blood test result, you must have a qualifying risk score. Take the quiz below to find out if you have Pre-Diabetes.
READY TO GET STARTED?
Classes are available in Harrisburg, Camp Hill, and Elizabethville throughout the year. To learn more about this program and how to get involved, please contact Susan Jacobs at YMCA Center for Healthy Living: 717-232-3751 or Susan.Jacobs@YMCAHarrisburg.org.